Good day! Here is a summary of the latest news in Nigeria newspapers today 15/10/2019.
1. Nigeria’s apex court, the Supreme court, has informed the Coalition of United Political Parties (CUPP) that the panel that would hear the appeal filed by Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, PDP’s presidential candidate, and his party is yet to be constituted.
2. Aisha Buhari, Nigeria’s First Lady has revealed the power play going on at the Aso Villa in Abuja. She said that the viral video that dominated the World Wide Web last week was real. She said that she was angry in the video because the family of Mamman Daura prevented her from getting access to certain parts of the statehouse.
3. The Director-General of NEMA, National Emergency Management Agency, Engr. Mustapha Maihaji has revealed on Monday that almost $665 billion has been lost to disasters worldwide in the last three years. He said that the larger percentage of this loss was witnessed by nations with high income.
4. The doomed state of Nigeria’s refineries has been blamed on inadequate maintenance which has spanned many years. This blame was apportioned by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC). The corporation said that the country has many petroleum technicians but they have been underutilized.
5. Fuel subsidy is expected to cost Nigeria N450 billion in 2020. This was revealed on Monday by Zainab Ahmed, Nigeria’s Minister for Finance, Budget and National Planning. She was speaking when publicly presenting the year 2020 budget proposals.
6. Goods worth N1.4 billion have been seized by the Nigeria Customs Service during the ongoing partial border closure. The Comptroller-General of the Service, Col. Ahmed Ali Rtd. made this known to the public.
7. President Muhammadu Buhari has been urged to backpedal on the elongation of tenure for 7 federal permanent secretaries. This appeal was made by the Association of Senior Civil Servants of Nigeria (ASCSN).
8. Nigeria’s government has been asked by the ECOWAS Court of Justice to pay a N10-million compensation for a dismissed soldier, Pte. Barnabas Eli. According to the court, the compensation is necessary because the right to work of the soldier has been violated.
9. The wife of Nigeria’s President, Aisha Buhari, has been accused of attacking Fatima, the daughter of the president’s nephew, Mamman Daura, in the presidential villa. Fatima made this revelation to defend herself in an earlier statement made by the wife of the president.
10. The CBN governor, Godwin Emefiele, has advised rice millers under the aegis of Rice Millers Association of Nigeria (RIMAN) as well as other stakeholders in the rice business to avoid increasing the price of rice because of the border closure.